Thread: Memorial Day Snow Run at the Ahtanum State Forest - May 28 2012

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries

4 Wheeling Memorial Day Snow Run at the Ahtanum State Forest - May 28 2012

Memorial Day Snow Run at the Ahtanum State Forest
    Report and photos by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

Around 10 AM on Monday May 28th, 2012 Eastern Washington Adventures members meet up at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead and aired down for the snow wheeling run. It was a nice warm day.

We waited around until 10:30 for others and then headed up the Mid Fork with Joker as the lead. We turned onto Whites Ridge Loop and then up the Whites Ridge 4x4 Trail. Not far past the McLaine Canyon Road we found some trees across the trail. Guido cut the down trees and we helped get them off the trail. We moved on to hit off camber snow not to far past where the trail merges with the closed road. BlindPilot took the lead about the point where I smashed up my XJ on the 2011 Memorial Day run. We pushed on up the off camber snow covered trail cutting more down trees out of the way as we went. We pulled off to the side to let some FJ40s go past us. They did not go to far before turning around. We pressed on until we lost the trail in the area the logged out.

We decided to go back down once the group was back together and Joker lead the way. We turned off the Whites Ridge 4x4 Trail and run McLaine Canyon Road down to the Mid Fork. Next we headed up the Mid Fork and stopped at Tree Phone to use the outhouse. Once business was done we head on up the Mid Fork. Not far from Eagle Nest we found two quad riders turning around. The flatter part of the snow drift above the road was getting narrow. We all decided to head back down.

On the way back down the Mid Fork "JK Lance" found a soft spot in the snow over the ditch and fell in. With a little winching he was out and we headed back down to the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead to air up for home.

This was a great run thanks to all who came. I special thanks to Joker for driving me around all day in his TJ.

Here are some photos of the Memorial Day Snow Run at the Ahtanum State Forest:

Airing down at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead.

Up on Whites Rigde 4x4 Trail stopped to cut some trees out of the way.

Guido and his Wild Thing getting ready for the job.

Of course people had already damaged some young trees since they drove off the trail to get around the down trees.

Here is where things go tougher.
    BlindPilot took the lead to break trail through the off camber snow drift that covered the trail a lond distance.

JK Lance having fun.

Some more trees down.

BlindPilot moving on breaking trail.

Here comes my ride. Joker in his Rodicon.

Another tree down.

We decided to just make two cuts and winch the part in the trail out of the way.

Using a snatch block to get the log off the trail.

Moving on.

Another tree down. This one was light enough to pick up and move by hand.

BlindPilot making a path for Joker.

Joker high centered.

BlindPilot giving Joker a pull.

Making our way up toward Make-out Point Hill.

Up in the area they logged looking for the trail.

Guido having fun.

Looking down the trail at JK Lance and TJ40.

Heading back down with an emergency stop for a pullup change.

Here we are stopped so some could use the outhouse at Tree Phones.

Moving up the Mid Fork toward Eagle Nest with Joker in the lead.

Some quad riders turning around.

The path getting narrow.

Joker decided to go on and check things out.

Joker said the trail got worse, so we started turning around where the quads did.

Heading back down with Joker in the rear on the pack.

This was an hairy spot. Either get on the drift and hope you don't flop onto the road or drive off camber on the edge of the road.

JK Lance fell into the ditch after the snow gave way.

On down the road got dusty.

Regrouping at Tree Phones.

Airing up at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead.

What a great day of fun!
    Last edited by Ceg; 05-30-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.

Did anyone get pictures of my "Hooper/Rockfordesque" turn around? Just before I sank in that hole?

Lance & Mandi from Kennewick

07 JKU, 37" Toyo's, 5.38s, 5.5" RK Mid-Arm lift, 2 Winches, Bumpers, Cold Air Intake, Headers, Trektop NX, Bilstien remotes, Sliders, cut fenders, etc... http://www.Livin4Today.com (more pics)

Blog Entries
    How did those Kevlar mtrs do? What psi did you run them at?

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    How did those Kevlar mtrs do? What psi did you run them at?
    I rode with Joker and his new MTRs did very well. I think he was at 5 PSI. Guido did ok with his but was running more air.

1951 CJ3A (project)
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.

Blog Entries
    He running bead locks to run that low?
    And what size tires?
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread but ive been looking at those and wanna find out as much as I can about them.

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    He running bead locks to run that low?
    And what size tires?
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread but ive been looking at those and wanna find out as much as I can about them.
    No bead locks and they are 33s. I have been running the old type MTRs for years on the XJ at 5 PSI and only lost one bead since 2006. It was because I slid off into a tree hole and hit hard enough to rip off the lower control arm bracket. I was at 3 PSI at the time it happened. It was the 2011 Memorial Day Snow Run.

I do have a set of bead locks for sale since I don't seem to need them.

1951 CJ3A (project)
    2003 Yukon XL

Blog Entries
    Thanks a lot Ceg. If I run beadlocks they will be internal since I drive my toy everyday.

I didn't get very many pictures, and they weren't that great, but I'll try to get the uploaded tomorrow. I had a blast as usual! Joker did as well. Can't wait till the next one. Ton of fun guys, thanks again!

As far as his MTR's, I know I'm pretty impressed. He is still very new to wheeling and has ran a couple different tires already, but these are seem to be doing him very well. I can't wait to hi-jack them for a weekend, he has offered for me to try them out and I'm planning on taking him up on it...just have to find the right timing to make the swap. If I were to buy a set of tires right now...I wouldn't hesitate buying these. My very close 2nd choice would be KM2's.

As far as air pressure, that is the lowest I have ran on my 33" radial swamper TSL's on 10" wide aluminum rims with no beadlocks. I was at 2psi when I finally decided to put some more air in them. We had quite a bit of off camber, which always puts a lot of pressure on the sidewalls. I was leaking a little around the bead, but once I aired up and ran some more, they stopped.

On a side note....I'm glad Joker found his D ring.....
    Last edited by BlindPilot; 05-30-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    97 TJ
    4 squirrels, 4" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, OX lockers F/R, 4:88 gears, winch, onboard air, upgraded 30 spline chromolly rear axles, homemade custom tube fenders/body armor, and other stuff...

I put together some videos of our trip for your viewing pleasure... They are about 30 mins long each, hope you like them...

Part 1

Incidentally, if your bandwidth isn't up for the challenge you might want to check out this link. It's a nifty little program that will download videos from the internet so you can then watch them on your computer or perhaps burn them to a DVD... http://keepvid.com/
    Part 2

Last edited by JK Lance; 06-14-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Lance & Mandi from Kennewick

07 JKU, 37" Toyo's, 5.38s, 5.5" RK Mid-Arm lift, 2 Winches, Bumpers, Cold Air Intake, Headers, Trektop NX, Bilstien remotes, Sliders, cut fenders, etc... http://www.Livin4Today.com (more pics)