Thread: Short & Dirty 4x4 Run - Aug 11 2012

4 Wheeling Short & Dirty 4x4 Run - Aug 11 2012

A great day, here is a few photos

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/...20and%20Dirty/

Last edited by Ceg; 08-13-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail Run
    Report by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures
    Photos by Clay Graham & Charlie Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

Around 10 AM Saturday August 11th, 2012 Eastern Washington Adventures members met up at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead for the Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail Run.

We headed up the Ahtanum Middle Fork Road and stopped for the view on Darland Mountain.

Next we headed down and turned onto the Blue Lake Trail, past Blue Lake and up 4W615 to Blue Slide Lookout for a break.

We ran FS1020 and turned down the Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail (4W637).

The Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail was very fun and scary at the same time. The off camber was extreme. When you thought you were at the most off camber you could be at, there was a bump or rock on the high side or hole on the lower side. The rear tire of my CJ5 came off the ground a few time. It happen to other rigs too. The last section of the Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail was very steep down hill and very off camber. That section seemed to run forever. This has to be the first trail that I have said that I was glad to be at the end of.

This was a very fun day thanks to those who came.

Here are some pictures of the day:

Airing down at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead.

A view from Charlie of his Dad.

Passing the Whites Ridge Trailhead turning up the Ahtanum Middle Fork Road.

A view as we start to top Darland Mountain.

Mount St. Helens.

The rigs of the day lined up on Darland Mountain. Mount Adams in the background.

Looking off Darland Mountain toward Yakima.

The rigs of the day lined up on Darland Mountain. Mount Rainier in the background.

Getting ready to move out.

Passing Blue Lake.

This looks fun!

Heading up 4W615.

At Blue Slide Lookout looking down on the Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail we are about to run.

Mount Rainier.

Turning onto the Short & Dirty 4x4 Trail (4W637).

The first part is a rock field.

Here is the part I remember that was scary.

Charlie and took some pictures as I crossed the first off camber section.

Well that was nothing compared to what was to come.

Mount Rainier.

Here we are crossing red dirt with red rocks.

Ruins of an old corral.

A cool rock Charlie thought we should take home. LOL

A tree across the trail.

Mackey volunteered to run the chainsaw.

The trail was cleared and we were on our way again. In the CJ, Charlie is showing off the red rock he found.

Next was a very steep down hill off camber section and then a steep hill climb. At the top we regrouped.

The next section was off camber and then dropped off very steep. That section was the worst part of the trail.
    Here is a small bridge at the bottom of the worst part of the trail.

The trail ended not to far from the small bridge.

We head out from the end of the trail will 4 of the rigs stopping on FS1000 to air up.

What a fun day!
    Last edited by Ceg; 08-13-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR
    National Rifle Association Member

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1977 C20 Farm truck, 350 ci
    1984 XJ, 4.0 L, AW4, NP242, 4.5" Rough Country, 3.73s, D30, D44 w/LS, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, Colemancooler winch bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XJ
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, Rough County 2.5 lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.

Looks like you guys had fun.....I was bummed to have missed it. Would have rather been in the hills than working....but that's what pays the bills.

Things can get interesting when tires come off the ground. Thanks for the pics....one of these days I'll run that trail.
    97 TJ
    4 squirrels, 4" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, OX lockers F/R, 4:88 gears, winch, onboard air, upgraded 30 spline chromolly rear axles, homemade custom tube fenders/body armor, and other stuff...

Junior Adventurer
    Thanks CEG for leading this trip. It was awesome. I was 100% sure on one of those uphill bumps that we were going over, hit the gas and held on. Miraculously stayed upright and didn't have a heart attack! Thanks for the great memory, great company, and the guy and lady in the blue jeep in front of us that gave us a line to follow. I will come along again.

Planning first time Rubicon Trail in 2 weeks with other daughter - any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olscda53 View Post
    Thanks CEG for leading this trip. It was awesome. I was 100% sure on one of those uphill bumps that we were going over, hit the gas and held on. Miraculously stayed upright and didn't have a heart attack! Thanks for the great memory, great company, and the guy and lady in the blue jeep in front of us that gave us a line to follow. I will come along again.

Planning first time Rubicon Trail in 2 weeks with other daughter - any advice?
    I am glad you came along. As far as the Rubicon, I have never ran the it but here it is not deadly like Rimrock. It is more about picking the right line not to break your rig.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR
    National Rifle Association Member

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1977 C20 Farm truck, 350 ci
    1984 XJ, 4.0 L, AW4, NP242, 4.5" Rough Country, 3.73s, D30, D44 w/LS, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, Colemancooler winch bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XJ
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, Rough County 2.5 lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.