Thread: Little Rattlesnake Jeep Run - Aug 12 2012

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries

4 Wheeling Little Rattlesnake Jeep Run - Aug 12 2012

Little Rattlesnake Jeep Run
    Report by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures
    Photos by Clay Graham & Doc Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

Around 10 AM Sunday August 12th, 2012 Eastern Washington Adventures members met up at The Wood Shed in Nile Valley for the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Run. Only three rigs made this run: Ceg (CJ5), The Middle Kid (CJ3A) and Issytj (TJ).

We convoyed to up FS1500 and aired down at the gravel. We turned on FS1503 and then run FS1501 to the end where the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trailhead (4W680) is.

The Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trail was very dusty. The trail did not seem as tight as it was two years ago when I ran it with my same CJ5. I saw where some trees were cut down and some by-passes were made. If people don't want to dent their rigs, they should not be on a trail that is meant for vehicles not to exceed 75 inches in width and a wheelbase not to exceed 95 inches in length. It is very sad to see people are screwing it up for others.

Once at the end of the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trail, we went up to Timberwolf Mountain. We really did not have a good view because it was hazy.

Next we headed over to 4W325 and ran it. We took 4W671 down and stopped at Bear Lake.

After a break at Bear Lake, we ran down to US12 next to the Oak Creek Feeding Station to air up for home.

This was a great of fun thanks to all who came.

Here are some photo of the day:

The meeting point.

Airing down at the end of the FS1500 pavement.

At the end of FS1501 at the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trailhead.

Heading up the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trail.

Odo looking at Charlie taking a picture.

A nice tight area.

No swinging around this turn without backing up.

The tightest part of the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trail. I had a hard time finding the right line.

Issytj had to try a few different ways too.

"The Middle Kid" made it look easy.

At the end of the Little Rattlesnake 4x4 Trail.

The next place we went was to Timberwolf Mountain.

Bethel Ridge in the background. Our next place to visit.

On Bethel Ridge we stopped to look down on Rimrock Lake.

Heading up 4W325.

Turning down 4W671.

A view of the valleys.

Doc having a good time Jeepin'!

This section of 4W671 was steep.

At the bottom of 4W671 we stopped at Bear Lake.

Heading out on FS1400.

My boys fell asleep.

Airing up on Oak Creek Road at US12.

This was a very fun run thanks to the people that came. I cannot wait to run these trails again.
    Last edited by Ceg; 08-13-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.

Nice, looks like you folks had a good time. Too bad about the 'widening' of the trail.

When I looked at your plans I was wondering if you were going to go down from the ridge on 4W671. You did. One of your pics just before you got to the bottom is where I camped once when I couldn't quite get up in my '97 XJ. But I did make it up a couple of years later in my '06 KJ. I chalk it up to the difference between using a standard vs. an automatic for climbing. Don't know how much fun it would be to go down that hill though.
    2006 KJ Liberty mostly stock: but well stocked when I travel. . . . .

Looks like you guys had fun... and yeah, that deffinately sucks about the trail widening. Isn't the width restriction posted at the entrance to the trail? (Not that everyone reads it....but just checking)
    97 TJ
    4 squirrels, 4" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, OX lockers F/R, 4:88 gears, winch, onboard air, upgraded 30 spline chromolly rear axles, homemade custom tube fenders/body armor, and other stuff...

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindPilot View Post
    Looks like you guys had fun... and yeah, that deffinately sucks about the trail widening. Isn't the width restriction posted at the entrance to the trail? (Not that everyone reads it....but just checking)
    It was posted. I did not read the sign this time around.

Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.