Thread: EWA Wenas Wildlife Area Snow Wheeling Run Jan 26 2013

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries

4 Wheeling EWA Wenas Wildlife Area Snow Wheeling Run Jan 26 2013

Wenas Wildlife Area 44 Snow Wheeling Run
    Report by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

On Saturday January 26th, 2013 Eastern Washington Adventures members met up at the Eastern Washington Adventures Club House in Selah Washington for the Wenas Wildlife Area 44 Snow Wheeling Run. We had five Jeeps on this run, TJ40 – TJ, Guido – TJ, Foxracer – TJ, Rangerat – YJ and Ceg – JK. TylerB rode with me. We convoyed to Sheep Company Road and aired down.

Once aired down, we headed on up Durr Road and then turned up Bel Tel Road. Near the top of Umtanum Ridge we climbed out of the fog. The weather was very nice on top of Umtanum Ridge. We took a break as we turned Northwest on Umtanum Ridge Road.

We ran Umtanum Ridge Road getting stuck here and they due to dry powder snow drifts. We passed a few other ORVs a long the way. About a 1/4 mile from Black Canyon Road the dry powder snow drifts got to deep to push on. We back tracked Umtanum Ridge passing more ORVs. At Durr Road we headed back down toward Sheep Company Road. Not far off the top of Umtanum Ridge we dropped back down into the fog.

Down at the Sheep Company entrance of Wenas Wildlife Area we aired up for the pavement. Guido and Rangerat headed home and the rest of us went back to the Club House for dinner.
    This was a very fun day!

Below are the pictures of our Wenas Wildlife Area Snow Wheeling Adventure:

At the Eastern Washington Adventures Club House in Selah Washington getting ready to convoy to the Wenas Wildlife Area.

Airing down at the Sheep Company entrance of Wenas Wildlife Area.

Topping Umtanum Ridge.

Looking toward Selah.

The fog coming up the ridge.

Just past the Oasis.

Soft dry powder snow stopped me in my tracks.

Foxracer gave me a pull out.

Then I gave Foxracer a pull out of the same spot.

On up the ridge we took a break.

About a 1/4 mile from Black Canyon Road the dry powder snow drifts got to deep to push on. Of coarse I got stuck.

Guido gave me a pull.

We regrouped at a wide spot on the road and others tried to break trail.

Foxracer in the distance trying to push on.

Odo having fun in the sun.

Foxracer got stuck breaking trail so TJ40 pulled him out. We all turned around to back track Umtanum Ridge.

Here Guido gets stuck playing around. I give him a pull.

Looking Southeast down Umtanum Ridge we had a ways to go to get back to Durr Road.

This deep drift was a challenge to get up. I got stuck so Guido pulled me back.

I got stuck again. Foxracer made it around to give me a pull.

Guido waiting for his turn.

Foxracer pulled me on up. Guido works it.

Guido makes it and then Rangerat making it through.

TJ40 backed up to give me a pull.

Passing Bel Tel Road.

Passing the Towers.

Almost to Durr Road. Looking at the fog we have to drop into.

Back at the Sheep Company entrance of Wenas Wildlife Area airing up.

Odo airing up the Jeep tires.

Back at the Eastern Washington Adventures Club House Foxracer flexes his new lift.

This was a very fun event.

Last edited by Ceg; 01-27-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.

Well, getting stuck with TJ/YJ's, man do I know that feeling! It's nice to have a JK, but following those guys with skinnier tracks makes you a snow plow on at least one side if not both because of our wider stance, so it tends to pull ya one way or the other. One thing for sure if you run with TJ/YJ's you've put in far more driving at the end of the day...

Great report & pics!

Lance & Mandi from Kennewick

07 JKU, 37" Toyo's, 5.38s, 5.5" RK Mid-Arm lift, 2 Winches, Bumpers, Cold Air Intake, Headers, Trektop NX, Bilstien remotes, Sliders, cut fenders, etc... http://www.Livin4Today.com (more pics)

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Lance View Post
    Well, getting stuck with TJ/YJ's, man do I know that feeling! It's nice to have a JK, but following those guys with skinnier tracks makes you a snow plow on at least one side if not both because of our wider stance, so it tends to pull ya one way or the other. One thing for sure if you run with TJ/YJ's you've put in far more driving at the end of the day...

Great report & pics!
    Thanks.

So far I can not feel a difference running in their tracks. My main problem so far this winter has been the snow is to dry to walk on top. There has only been a then crust so far. I can't wait for the snow to harden up.
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XL
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto tranny, D44s with 5:38 Nitro Gears, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 3" lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.