Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Member Challenge at Ahtanum State Forest - Jan 17 2009

Main Admin
    EWA Club Member
    Blog Entries

4 Wheeling Top Member Challenge at Ahtanum State Forest - Jan 17 2009

Top Member Challenge at Ahtanum State Forest
    Report by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

On January 17th, 2009 we had our clubs yearly challenge for Top Member on Cowiche Ridge in the Ahtanum State Forest.
    The challenge was to get up the mountain through the snow drifts and get the marker before other members.
    This year we had five members competing which drew straws to get their place at the starting line on C-1000 near South Fork Cowiche Creek.

Here is the order of the challengers at the starting line:
    1st BlindPilot - TJ
    2nd Nevada - Toyota truck
    3rd Havo - Toyota truck
    4th Waycrazy - CJ5
    5th Colemancooler - Toyota truck

The Judges:
    JayW - CJ2A
    Black-in-black - Toyota truck

The rules state they must stay on the Green Dot trail and only pass in areas where no damage would happen to the land.
    The first part of the trail did not have places to pass.

BlindPilot way out in front.

Up on top we had some local wheelers sabotage the challenge by getting in our pack.

Waycrazy broke a u-joint and had to drop out of the challenge.

The challengers and judges got spread out since the other group would not let them pass.

I got stuck behind this Toyota from the other group so I did not get many more challenge pictures.

Here is the finish line.

The 2009 All Wheelers Top Member Challenge winner was BlindPilot.

Fatboy presenting the TMC trophy to BlindPilot.

The prizes BlindPilot got were a set of Rough Country Roll bar Grab handles donated from 4wheelingplus.com and an AWORC t-shirt donated from Ceg.

The challenge was over and time to play.

A view of the fog in the valleys.

Ceg stuck again! Colemancooler and Jeepscum helping out. Thanks guys!

I was stuck good. Black-in-black winched me up the hill. Thanks!

Colemancooler working it.

Waycrazy got a u-joint from Roller bear and was back on the trail.

The next part was hard to get through with all the deep ruts.

Roller Bear stopped to air down more.

This climb took out another u-joint on Waycrazy's CJ.

We all worked our way up as Waycrazy worked on his rig.

And the kids played.

Some decided to head home since the snow sucked. It was deep and would not pack.
    I am not sure why they wanted to leave the sun to drive down into that fog.

We played a little on top and decide to head back down.
    Some of us want to play on another ridge and some wanted to go home.

Yeah that fog sucked.

Down on Cowiche Mill road, we parted ways.
    We had four rigs that headed up toward Jumpoff to play in the snow.

The ice on Cowiche Mill road was thick and slick.

We made it out of the fog to find a big drift we could not cross.

We turned around here to go back down.

We took up a different Green Dot road to get up onto Hatton road.

We found more deep snow for me to get stuck in.

Thanks guys for pulling my low rider around!

This was a very fun time thanks to all the members, judges and guest that came.
    Last edited by Ceg; 11-10-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Title rename for search reasons
    Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Region 4 PR
    National Rifle Association Member

1951 CJ3A (project)
    1977 C20 Farm truck, 350 ci
    1984 XJ, 4.0 L, AW4, NP242, 4.5" Rough Country, 3.73s, D30, D44 w/LS, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, Colemancooler winch bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    1995 Dolphin 34' Motor home, 460, very big gas tanks
    2003 Yukon XJ
    2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV, Auto-trans, push button 2/4 wheel drive, Front cable locker, 2" receiver, Warn winch, Tusk MTS Rear Trunk.
    2007 JKU Rubicon 3.8L, auto, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, Rough County 2.5 lift, Rough County Stubby bumper, 12,000 Mile Marker.
    2013 JD 1023E, diesel, 4x4, Hydrostatic, Rear locker, D120 loader.

Re: All Wheelers Top Member Challenge (Jan 17th, 2009)

Congratulations, BlindPilot!
    JERRY
    Exploring PNW Backroads
    K7PNW

Adventurer

I did my best to keep up with the 1st and 2nd place rigs. Congrats to BlindPilot!

46 CJ2A

Thanks guys! Thanks for the prizes Ron and Ceg. This was fun, both the challenge and the run after. The part about the challenge that sucked was the group that interfered. I didn't realize they got between us till it was over, they must have got in between us at this point. They were parked here in the road just after the green dot marker before the trees. Nevada was on my donkey here and I got past them on the left and Nevada went to the right. JayW must have got around them too then the group must have followed us, that sucks.

I have to thank my coils on this run, I was hauling donkey. This was a fun event. It was nice be up in the sunshine again, and the wheelin after was great too.
    97 TJ
    4 squirrels, 4" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, OX lockers F/R, 4:88 gears, winch, onboard air, upgraded 30 spline chromolly rear axles, homemade custom tube fenders/body armor, and other stuff...

Way to go Terry. I had a feeling that you were gonna take this win, most comfortable rig.
    2005 Mercedes C230
    1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    1954 Ford F100

Man what a run I have been in a few high speed assaults off road with BNB but coleman proves you dont need a buggy to go rock racing. What a ride!

Congrates Blindpilot you were the man to beat.
    [

Thanks to Jayw for his efforts and recovery skills. This guy can drive!

Old Fatboy runnin in the back as tailgunner had to deal with all the used snow and never stuck.

An then the toyotas of Back in Black & Nevada schooled most all day long with there dual case setups not breaking through the crust on top.
    Keep it on the green dot!

Congrats to Blind Pilot I dont have any pics becouse I was busy fixing stuff.LOL

I would like to thank everyone who took time out of there wheelin fun to help me.
    The list of busted parts :2 ujoints 1front 1rear ,One axlewrap bar .(ripped off the rear axle) One U Joint u bolt.
    And of course special thanks to Jay W and Roller Bear for haveing the parts I needed to get back home . You two sure saved my day!
    Even though my rig was busted up everyone had a joke or two to keep me smilein! I think one of my fav comments came from Nevada though. He threatend to take a few spark plug wires off so I could continue the day with out breaking parts. He must think I have a addiction to the skinny pedal.
    A BAD DAY OF WHEELIN IS ALWAYS BETTER THEN THE BEST DAY AT WORK
    77CJ5 360amc ,NP435,rear=Jap9"Knockoff welded, Jap9"Knockoff lockright,4:11 gears Hydro assist steering

[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb317/colemancooler/awrocuserbar.jpg[/img]

Congratulations to Blind Pilot! You were gone like a shot. The race was over almost before it started. I guess the local boys thought it would be funny to interfere with the race. I for one did not find it funny at all. I'd like to thank our group for keeping their cool.

After the race was over the playing began and as usual Gabe & I had a great time. The powder snow under the surface crust made for really slow going. Most of the time Gabe was standing outside the Jeep telling me what I was doing wrong. It took quite a while to work it through the spots that were thoroughly torn up by the rigs with the larger tires, but whats a run without a challenge? The only bad part of the day was having to leave the sunshine on top of the ridge & drive back into the freezing fog. Thanks to all that made it a fun day!

"No Rest For The Wicked"
    [img]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/Fatboy97_photos/JeepGirl_thumb.gif[/img]

Another Rocken day.......
    Gasman

Me and My "Barbie Jeep"

And yes I am an "Elkaholic"

Senior Adventurer colemancooler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy
    I'd like to thank our group for keeping their cool.
    Sorry
    [img]http://www.treadlightly.org/images/jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif[/img][img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2953/treadtrainerlogocc3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb317/colemancooler/awrocuserbar.jpg[/img]

Did you lose your cool Colemancooler?
    1983 Bronco, 1981 Bronco, 1978 Bronco XLT, 1978 Bronco Custom, 1965 Ranchero

congrats Blindpilot
    i just wish there had been more snow, it might have been a bit closer at the end

i didnt even take the cam out. i was too busy being annoyed....by stopping....all day long. in case you didnt notice, im VERY impatient. that, and it was fairly uneventful...for the most part.

the snow was CRAPPY, as i predicted. if u broke through the crust...at all..u were done for.

what happened waycrazy? the 1st time u take ur rig up, when im there...and you break...not once, but twice time to stock up(and buy stock) in u-joints

that looks like fun, i wanna play too.... oh wait, i forgot i cant play in the deep stuff yet, need to get snow shoes first.
    [size=4][b]I understand the "[i]jeep thing[/i]" that's why i bought a Nissan.[/b][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by colemancooler
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy
    I'd like to thank our group for keeping their cool.
    Sorry
    Why are you saying sorry?
    "No Rest For The Wicked"
    [img]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/Fatboy97_photos/JeepGirl_thumb.gif[/img]

Adventurer

In the heat of the moment Coleman was upset that one of the spectating Toy pickups would not get out of his way on the race up. After looking at the starting positions, he started last and finished 3rd so..........
    46 CJ2A

oh, and i dont know what u guys were talking about....wheeling in the dark fog is friggin great. the only thing better would be a snow storm/blizzard

i HATE getting to the top,and its friggin sunny, and nice

Quote Originally Posted by nevada
    oh, and i dont know what u guys were talking about....wheeling in the dark fog is friggin great. the only thing better would be a snow storm/blizzard

i HATE getting to the top,and its friggin sunny, and nice
    Weird?
    JERRY
    Exploring PNW Backroads
    K7PNW

I don't think Jay wanted me to snap a pic of him hitting the ground when he got out of his Jeep he just made it out of the picture.

A good shot of the Professor's snow machine.

Dirt stuck in the snow, thats why his name isn't Snowzuki,(Just messin with you Rob ) with Coleman stuck pushing snow with his windshield in front of Jay, Rob starts messin around (I guess he was bored) next thing I know I cant see his axles any more

Only one option left, either hook up to me or Jay, or................the new compact recovery vehicle, fits in the back of your rig, and you can safely pilot it from your driver's seat

Rocktoy couldn't stand it any more, he had to mess around and put in 2 wheel for the trip back down..............result, buried Toyota. I guess he didn't want to go home yet

I think my brother was going to jump in the driver's seat and leave my donky cause he could smell pizza coming all the way from my house, but I had to get some pictures of the ocean of fog.

Good times, good company, later.
    What the, I Just fixed that!

Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

[url]http://www.ghpautofabrication.com[/url]

man, it looked like a lot of fun!

Next year my truck should ready to go
    "I got the jeep thing... now it burns when I pee"
    Jeep> 1987 xj, 4.0L, aw4 Tranny, Np 242 Transfer case, 4.5" lift, , Dans 30 open, Dana 44 rear (Spartan Locker) 33x13.5x15 ltb's, Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
    [URL="http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/rankem.cgi?id=aworccom"][IMG]http://www.aworc.com/images/4x4_160x55b.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Maybe in the near future we will get a fullsize run together, I think after this run my brother is thinking that his 8' wide Blazer will fit and I can run the Shop Truck,
    What the, I Just fixed that!

Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

[url]http://www.ghpautofabrication.com[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast